Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review: Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon

Happy Tuesday, everyone! I've noticed that this page is garnering a few more hits every day, so I'm happy happy happy (in the words of Phil Robertson on Duck Dynasty)! Today's review will be on a product I picked up a week ago at Sephora. 

I had actually been walking around Sephora with this Hourglass Opaque Rouge in Icon because I was looking for a new red lipstick when a friend of mine who works at Sephora happened to drop in on her off day. She always wears red lipstick and I've always loved the shade of red she wore, so that day, I asked her what it was that she always had on her lips.

She pointed at the Opaque Rouge I had in my hand and said, "this." I had unknowingly picked the product that I had admired on her! She raved about it and gave me another tip - apply one swipe, let it dry, and then apply another because the resulting shade is the perfect red!

So here's my review - which I'm super, super excited to share!

Hourglass Opaque Rouge in Icon
The packaging: This comes in a silver box and the tube is oval-shaped (tapers at both ends). The only thing I don't like about the tube is that you don't get a lot from the amount you pay for this product. However, it is slim enough to put in your pocket or even the smallest bag when you're on the go.


The scent: If you take a very large sniff of this, it smells plastic. But once it's on your lips, there's no scent to this at all.

The product: Be prepared to prep your lips before applying this. If your lips are anywhere close to being chapped or flaking, this product will settle into whatever line it can find. Also, prep the area outside your lips with powder to help this product stay within the boundaries of your lips. This product glides on smoothly and dries fairly quickly, so mistakes must be kept to a minimum. If you look at the photos below, I swatched it on my arm for the photo, and took it off with makeup remover within 3 mins, and it left a stain. I actually scrubbed my arm to try and get it off and even after scrubbing, it left that stain on my arm! I didn't have trouble evenly distributing out the color like I've had with OCC's Lip Tar either, and you can build up the color as much as you like with these. One swipe will leave you with a brighter red, two swipes will leave you with a deeper red with blue undertones. Icon looks great on all skin tones (my friend who wears it has dark skin, I have medium skin with yellow undertones). The absolute greatest thing about Icon was that it lasted 6+ hours (even through eating and drinking) and probably would have lasted longer, but I took it off to go to bed! 



Favorites: I've only tried Icon out of the Opaque Rouge line, but am open to suggestions that yall may have!

Cost: $28.00 - pricey for such a small tube. If red lipstick is a signature look for you, it's worth it. Otherwise, you may want to look for less expensive options.

Natural lips
 
Opaque Rouge in Icon

Questions? Comments? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment